Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Tale Of The First Crush

 I was aged 12, when I fell for my first major crush
Emotions don’t look at age, taking control through an unplanned rush
 I may have been a kid – but my mind didn’t care
The flame of love just couldn’t just be put out in a flush!

 Every Morning, I caught her glimpse in the school bus
The glimpse was so entrenched; I could hardly concentrate in my class
My Mom was a sweetheart, though ruing my total neglect of studies
Every time the results came, she started creating a fuss.

Like all boys back then, Sachin & cricket used to bring my life to a halt
With the arrival of this girl, was there any option but to put study into a safe vault?

Every time I said a “Hi”, and exchanged a handshake
My mind used to sway away, fantasies it used to rake
Was I just a friend, or were my feelings being reciprocated?
Or did she not think about it at all – with me indulging in a mindless mistake?

An outstanding student she was, maybe a little insane.
 Whenever a little offended, she was difficult to rein
For me,  I had something to look forward to while going to school
 To feign pretexts to strike a conversation, but mostly in vain.

But like all one sided puppy love, this too came to an end
Me getting immersed in life’s grind, swayed away by nature’s invisible hand.

In a distant land, a decade & half later, I was walking by a mall
I saw a married couple, the girl very pretty and tall
I could figure her out by her smile, as she yelled out to me with joy
A little shy, I walked across – just to engage in a solemn call

She said “So what if we have grown up, don’t indulge in this formal fuss
Treat me like that little girl you travelled with in the school bus”

As I bid her goodbye, I smile back reminiscing the good old days
As silly as they might seem, how wondrous is nature’s maze
That somebody can emerge out of a long lost labyrinth of the past
To make me muse over a school bus which never ceased to amaze.

 (P.S. - Not a true story. Could not help penning this after seeing few videos in youtube)

No comments: